Author Topic: [SOLVED...for now] 7 weeks down and still happy-(when it actually starts!)  (Read 3234 times)

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
So, I bought a Super 8 150 a month ago. So far, so good. I'm enjoying it every day.

It is a 2012 model I got from my local dealer as a new old stock they had on their showroom all year, and never sold. It had 15 miles on the odometer, and  a couple very minor scuffs, which leads me to believe it was a parking lot demo scoot. But, the dealer knocked off all of the dealer and set up fees to meet my price. Saved me over $650 off the out the door price!   :)

So far the only quirk is a slightly rough idle at stops, and a mild little exhaust fart when I let off the throttle to slow down at stops. That being said, it has been fairly chilly and wet here in the midwest the last couple of weeks. So I hope that's all it is. Just curious if anyone else had that during the break in period? It's at about 380 miles so far. I changed the oil and gear lube just before 200 miles to get the break in lubricants out of it since the manual called for it at 200 miles. Going in for it's first dealer service today to get a full mechanical check up, since I'm not an experienced mechanic, and haven't found a repair manual yet.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Super 8 150 so far. Plus the money I've saved on gas has been unbelievable! 5 gallons in over 360 miles!  :D

Thanks to all the people on this forum for helping in my decision to buy the Kymco. Reading posts on here helped a lot in my choice of scooter.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 01:05:14 PM by DMblues01 »
Roxana, IL

Yoda is my spiritual leader.
Vader is my anger management coach!

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: 1 month down and still happy
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 12:38:19 PM »
dmblues,
I bought my 2013 march 7, 2014 and hit 400 miles last night on my ride. The performance of my scoot has been flawless and I cannot say I've been presented with the two items you've mentioned. Look at my wiring fix videos I posted as that was the only thing I wasn't satisfied with. The other small item is that before you take it in for service, give it a good look over as I noticed I was missing 4 screws from the back body panels. Don't know if they jiggled out or if the dealer didn't put them back in tight enough when assembling the tail light add-ons (which didn't really need removing for that). At any rate the dealer should replace. I'm sure they won't look for that sort of thing when doing general maintenance. I'm 50 miles from my dealer so I'll be calling to make sure they have the screws before I go. I'd be interested if your valve clearances needed adjusted when the dealer does the maintenance for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of Super8's
Wayne

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 12:50:27 PM »
Yeah, mine had a missing screw for the rear fender. I noticed it when cleaning the scoot. I stopped by my dealer, who is only 15 minutes away, and they put one in right then and there, no questions asked.

As far as the idle issue, they did have to clean the carb and put new gas in when I bought it because it had been sitting in their showroom for so long. So I'm thinking it may need another cleaning now that it's had several tanks of good gas run through it now. Plus, I've been pretty easy on it during break in. Haven't wound it up past 3/4 throttle yet. But, it still gets up to 55 on the speedo at 3/4. I'm guessing about 49 or 50 in real speed.
Roxana, IL

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
At full throttle my speedo is off by 5MPH (61mph with wind = 56mph GPS). Spedo is right on until you get to 30MPH and then it starts moving away. FYI, You won't find but a couple more MPH from 3/4 throttle to full throttle.
Wayne

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
miles. Going in for it's first dealer service today to get a full mechanical check up, since I'm not an experienced mechanic, and haven't found a repair manual yet.

All in all, I'm very happy with the Super 8 150 so far. Plus the money I've saved on gas has been unbelievable! 5 gallons in over 360 miles!  :D

Thanks to all the people on this forum for helping in my decision to buy the Kymco. Reading posts on here helped a lot in my choice of scooter.
Cyclepedia.com has a service manual to show you how to service your scooter. You buy the year or life-time subscription.
As far as owners servicing their scoots - rather than the dealer - that could be a warranty issue.
And a lot of folks say they are told not  to check their valve adjustment unless the scooter is operating poorly - or that it is silly to change the engine or gear oils more often than specified.
For some of us though, the only thing more fun than the mechanicals of the scooter is riding it. So, we want to protect or scooters and also know that we are ahead of servicing issues by doing regular oil changes and our own valve lash checks and/or adjustment, etc.
My scooter, a LIKE200i, so far has proven to be very easy to service....I'm no mechanic - but I am learning to do all the scheduled servicing without any major issues or expensive tools.
I've had it a year - and 5000 miles - never a problem so far.
Consider doing your own oil changes - maybe the valves and required warranty fulfillment work leave to the dealer - but oil changes are crazy easy, helps you bond with your scoot - and increases its life span. My dealer wanted $367 to do the 600 mile service. (check screws/bolts/nuts, oils changed, valves checked, look it over) I bought this scoot to save $ ....consequently they haven't seen me since I purchased the scoot, except when I stopped back to ask what kind of oil they use. The scooter is getting serviced much more frequently than the time & mileage intervals shown in the owner's manual. I'm having fun riding and servicing the scooter and I know it's very healthy out there in the garage. + I'm saving $. A valves check costs $0; a Qt of the best oil is cheap; a new spark plug is $3-$7.
Enjoy and ride safe!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
  Yeah, I WILL be doing all maintenance myself from now on. My dealer only charged $126 for the service, but their "mechanic" forgot to re-tighten  two screws on the carb after checking and cleaning the jets, and forgot the hose clamp on a hose to the valve cover when he checked the valve clearance. The scoot died and wouldn't start 2 days later when the hose blew off. Me and a friend fixed it in my driveway, and now she runs like a champ!

I told the dealer and he apologized and said he is dealing with the mechanic. And he's giving me store credit for when I need anything like parts or such.

I already do the oil myself. It's too easy to justify paying someone to do it.  As far as the spark plugs, O'Reilly's auto parts has NGK CR7HSA plugs for $2.09 a piece. So I will be getting them there.

Despite the dealer service hassle, however, I am still loving the Super8 150!
Roxana, IL

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
Re: 1 month down and still happy-(when it actually starts!)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 02:32:39 AM »
Well, after correcting the aforementioned dealer mechanic oversights, the S8 ran awesome all week.

Until tonight!!!!! >:(

Started her up to warm the engine, and after a minute or so when I got my gloves and helmet on, she sputtered and died......AGAIN!!!!!
And now she won't start back up. The starter is working and tries to turn it over, but she just won't fire up.
Plus, now the headlights shut off, and isn't coming back on. Hopefully, that's just a fuse or lose wire.
I guess I'll re-check the stuff that was loose before and hope that's all there is.  The dealer is closed on Sunday and Monday, so I can't contact them until Tuesday.

I bought this thing because I wanted a reliable daily transport, and heard glowing reports on Kymcos. She was proudly living up to all expectations, until the dealer serviced it! Now, she's broken down twice in a week!!!!

If I wanted something that broke down once a week, I would have just saved up and bought a Harley!!!!
Roxana, IL

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 02:50:53 AM »
Kill switch?
I tripped mine one time - got the same issues.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 02:56:48 AM »
Kill switch?
I tripped mine one time - got the same issues.
Stig

Nope.  She started normal and then just died. Same as last time. Kill switch is still set to run.
Hoping it's just that hose again. If so, I'll put it back on and go to the auto parts store and get a better hose clamp for it.
I'll get into it in the morning when I can actually see something.
I may also check to see if the plug got fowled somehow. I doubt it since it's only a week old, but you never know.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 03:01:56 AM by DMblues01 »
Roxana, IL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 04:21:03 AM »
There is an old thread here called "links to manuals"... Posted by me. Have you all tried going thru that to see if someone posted the free manual?

If you find a manual else where it would sure help to post one up in that thread.

links to service manuals...
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=1689.msg9960#msg9960
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:23:49 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2014, 04:26:58 AM »
There is an old thread here called "links to manuals"... Posted by me. Have you all tried going thru that to see if someone posted the free manual?

If you find a manual else where it would sure help to post one up in that thread.

I haven't found that yet. Everywhere I've looked online so far lists every Kymco model except the Super8 150!

I'm starting to smell a conspiracy........Or maybe the cat farted! Not sure which?!?!
Roxana, IL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2014, 04:32:56 AM »
Use any 150 manual. The engines are the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 04:39:08 AM »
Use any 150 manual. The engines are the same.

Wasn't sure on that, since the Supe is carbed, and most of the others are fuel injected. I'll look into that.

THANX Zombie!
Roxana, IL

DMblues01

• 2012 Kymco Super 8 150
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 01:02:53 PM »
THANK GOD!
I got the bitch started today!

I re-checked all the things that had come lose last time, and all were fine.

Then checked the fuses, and the plug wire for issues. All good.

Finally, on a whim, I opened the airbox to check the air filter, AND.......I find a huge puddle of gear oil in the box, and the filter smelled like it was soaked in gas.

So, I took the air filter off, and cleaned all the gear oil out of the box. Then I turned the key on and tried the kick starter.
Third kick.......SHE'S ALIVE!!!!!
So I took a can of compressed air, that I use to dust the computer, and blew out the filter to evaporate anything that was in it.
Also set back the idle screw about a half turn to shoot less fuel in at idle, and put it all back together.
Hit the electric start......Success on the first try.
Test rode around the neighborhood for about 5 minutes, and no problems.
I guess the dealer overfilled the gear oil when it was serviced, because it didn't get that much oil in the airbox when I changed it at 200 miles myself. It got some, but only a tiny bit that didn't get to the filter.
I feel better today. I'll just remember to check the airbox for oil every couple of days, and drain it on my day off so I can refill it with the proper amount. Hopefully, that will solve this particular issue.
Roxana, IL

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
Very cool. Your bike will last forever.
I can't figure why Kymco provides a fill level screw when the required level is much less. IMHO they should  move the screw lower. This is an issue across the board on all their bikes.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()