Author Topic: Dr Pulley Slider Belt Clutch DIY LIKE 200i  (Read 7326 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Dr Pulley Slider Belt Clutch DIY LIKE 200i
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
I put in a set of 18x14x14gram set of Dr Pulley sliders and slide pieces and a new OEM Kymco belt cover gasket this morning.
Took photos along the way.
I did not need a breaker bar to loosen the 2 big nuts....(from the factory - I found the variator nut to be easier to remove than the clutch nut - in spite of the torque specifications - perhaps that was because they oiled the variator nut/threads as stipulated in the cyclepedia manual?)
 Removed 3 screws near the front of the lower side panel - one holds the panel the other 2 help give space to remove the belt cover.

Removed 2 screws and a 10mm bolt at rear of same panel.

Slide panel slightly to the rear and remove.

Unscrew these 2 bolts on airfilter - then lift a bit and tie out of the way.

Remove all 8 of the 8mm bolts holding the CVT belt cover.

Remove belt cover with vent hose attached. (tap with a block of wood, pry gently in several areas, I inserted a putty knife into the seam and pried on that. Do not beat on the metal cover - it can break. Take your time - it will come off! I then cleaned the old gasket off - used sheets of sandpaper to finish it up.))

Here's what you will find with the cover off.

Using the holding tool (eBay, amazon, etc.) to remove the variator nut.

Remove the clutch nut.

Apply thin coat of 3M Gasket Adhesive to gasket and scooter. Let dry then attach gasket to scooter. Holds very well! I used a thin coat of Super Lube on the edge of belt cover - hoping it will not stick to gasket next time.

Weights are in back piece of variator pulley - new Dr Pulley sliders and 3 slide pieces installed here.
When you slide this part on the scooter - you MUST hold the assembly together so the weights cannot move into a wrong postition inside the variator

Lightly sandpaper the faces of the 3 clutch pads to remove any glaze - and clean the corresponding area in the clutch bell with a green scrubby.

Spread pulleys in the clutch by sqeezing them open - orient belt correctly - insert in clutch - slip assembly onto the shaft with enough slack for belt to fit over the other shaft.

Slide on variator half with weights inside. The belt is between the 2 pulley halves . Make certain belt is loose, can move and is not being pinched by the pulley halves when being bolted down. Squeeze the clutch pulleys to get more slack in belt if you need to. Belt MUST move freely and not be pinched down in the valley of the pulleys. Your nut can come loose while riding if this is not assembled correctly! Watch a few youtube videos to see more details.

Using the holding tool, cyclepedia says to add a drop of oil to the threads and torque the Variator Nut to 70 ft pounds and the Clutch Nut (no oil) to 40 ft pounds. I use blue locktite on both.

Replace cover with breather hose. Gentle with the 2 locating pins. 8 screws hold the cover - now the 2 bolts holding the airfilter. Replace the lower body panel. I tied up the airfilter making it easier both in removal and replacing the belt cover.

Tools I purchased for this service.

Tools I used for this service.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:14:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mrmike

• Syuracuse, NY
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE200i Dr Pulleys installation w/pix
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
  Great write up STIG. Curious to hear your opinion on performance difference with the sliders.
Blue '23 People S 150i ABS   Moto Discovery GPS bar, Shad SH33 top case, Iridium spark plug, Black reflective graphics.         

Past rides- '73 Honda 450, '00 Harley Softail Deuce, '10 Kymco People 150, '12 Kymco GTI 300, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:09 PM »
Stig, you are the first person I have seen that used gasket sealer on the variator cover gasket.
Is this recommended or is it something you wanted?.

Scratch the question about gasket sealer. Just saw your other post where you explained.

ps: Good pics and post.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:03:54 PM by boo »
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

wkreps

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 03:35:13 AM »
Detailed and easy to follow. Great post.
Wayne

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 07:12:38 AM »
Stig, you are the first person I have seen that used gasket sealer on the variator cover gasket.
Is this recommended or is it something you wanted?.

Scratch the question about gasket sealer. Just saw your other post where you explained.

ps: Good pics and post.

Don't over tighten the cover with the gasket sealer... the cover might just squeeze out the sealer and leave it with nothing in there....  Just tighten a bit, let it dry a bit, and re-tighten...

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 03:14:27 PM »
Don't over tighten the cover with the gasket sealer... the cover might just squeeze out the sealer and leave it with nothing in there....  Just tighten a bit, let it dry a bit, and re-tighten...

I hear you Vivo - but this stuff is just a paper thin coat of adhesive on each part - when dry they are stuck together....just like a contact cement in woodworking. (applying laminates or veneers). No squishing going on - on the untreated side of things I smeared a thin coat of Super Lube for later releasing of the cover from the gasket.....we hope! 20 more miles on these 14 grammers--- sure do like them! The gasket is so I can wash the scoot without worrying where the water is going under that belt cover.
Stig
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Dr Pulley Slider Belt Clutch DIY LIKE 200i
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 07:14:03 PM »
[Edit, a few weeks later.
 I opened up the CVT cover today to check on things. Nuts remain in place -per the story marks in paint, no belt dust to speak of, gasket staying in place & released with no issues
Stig]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 07:15:54 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Super8:50:2T:2013

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
Hello Stig,
Who sells the Clutch Holding tool that you have?
THanks

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 12:28:15 AM »
Hello Stig,
Who sells the Clutch Holding tool that you have?
THanks
Found it on eBay. Here's one like mine - but postage is higher for this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171179620715

Much more expensive one is made from black bar-steel, has red rubber covered handle (@$40)....but this one works great. Use a block of wood, or cheater bar, if it does not reach the floor for you.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 12:30:03 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Super8:50:2T:2013

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »
Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:34 AM »
Great post Stig...
So what's the Verdict? What were the original roller weights?
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
thanks for the great detailed post and pictures
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 01:31:31 PM »
I too would like your opinion on performance difference with the sliders installed.
I have a set of DR Pulley sliders hanging on my work bench. Plan on installing them in my
GT.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 02:57:26 PM »
I too would like your opinion on performance difference with the sliders installed.
I have a set of DR Pulley sliders hanging on my work bench. Plan on installing them in my
GT.
Hello Boo,
That is a tough one.
I went one ounce lighter than stock - as informed - for the Dr Pulleys. But I am a very modest rider and did not like the slight increase in RPMs. So, I put in Dr Pulleys of the  same weight as the stock rollers and - with the way I ride my scoot - I notice little difference.
I never get anywhere near WOT - maybe there's a difference at that end of the RPMs ?
Dr Pulleys are supposed to be "so smooth". OK, well I never found the rollers to be anything but pretty smooth as well.
So, I think KYMCO has it figured pretty well.
The DP's caused no harm - and my scoot is acting fine with them in there.
 If they ever wear out I will probably just drop some OEM Kymco rollers back in there.
Sure are a lot of scooter riders who love the DP's...I think they ride their scoots harder than I do (this thing is my commute to work - not my toy - though 90% of the 5700 miles are from leisure rides)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 03:56:51 PM »
Actually Stig the Dr. P's "act" lighter than OEM weight so the recommendation is to go one to two grams heavier. That will keep your OEM rpms.

You found that out so it's moot.

You may have to live w/ them for quite awhile. I've been running mine for over two years with no sign of giving in.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Re: thanks for the great detailed post and pictures
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 04:07:39 AM »

I've never found that "sliders" make any difference in performance.  It's a maintenance issue. They last longer than round weights if you ride hard.  But performance is the same.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()