Author Topic: Blacked-Out Venox  (Read 16221 times)

Mike-the-Bike

• View Profile
Re: Blacked-Out Venox
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 04:37:15 PM »
As you know, the finned "cylinder heads" are simply painted silver by Kymco; so after removing them from the bike, I took a Scotch-Brite pad and rubbed off the silver paint from the fins (just the ends of the fins, not all the way down each individual fin!).  I cleaned the parts with acetone, then spray painted them with "Low gloss black" engine paint from Pep Boys (an automotive parts store).  After the paint had dried, I carefully rubbed the black paint off the ends of the fins and polished them with an aluminum polish.  The rest of the engine was painted with the same paint, but I had to lightly sand and scotch brite the whole thing, clean and mask off the frame, radiator hoses, and wiring.  Short, controlled blasts of paint from different angles eventually covered the whole engine.    Preparation was key.

The frame was red; some portions were spray painted gloss black, while others were simply brush painted with Rustoleum from a quart can.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
You did a fine job. I would have thought it was a nut, and bolt tear down. I really love that bike.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

MYabas86

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 11:39:22 PM »
dear mike,

im in love with the color of your bike i readed that you did 4 shades of black Gloss semi-gloss etc etc can you maybe give us a bit more details ? ex. collor codes and did you painted your whole bike first one shade after that a new layer of a another shade etc. please tell us :)

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »
i likey. sell?

MYabas86

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 11:26:08 PM »
MY QUESTION

dear mike,

im in love with the color of your bike i readed that you did 4 shades of black Gloss semi-gloss etc etc can you maybe give us a bit more details ? ex. collor codes and did you painted your whole bike first one shade after that a new layer of a another shade etc. please tell us :)

HIS ANSWER

I used spray paint from Pep Boys and Lowe's.  Gloss black Rustoleum for the frame and side frame covers, satin black wheel paint from Pep Boys on the wheels, flat black Rustoleum on the controls and some other bits, satin black engine paint on the engine, and flat black engine paint on the tank and body (both from Pep Boys).  The cafe fairing came with a gloss black coat. Clubman bars came black.  Oh, and gloss black on the tank's instrument panel housing.  I even used gloss black rustoleum oil paint with a brush on some of the hard to mask/spray frame areas. Lots of careful prep work, sanding, and cleaning with acetone gave good results.   Thanks for your interest!  cut and paste this into the thread if you want to, but I think all this is somewhere up the thread. I don't get on the forum much.

Jimmy B

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »
Love this bike. I'm in Florida and just bought mine from a friend for $300. The Chrome is in really bad shape on the side covers and the engine covers look like crap so... Instead of paying to buy new trans and ignition covers I'm going to Black mine out also. I've seen a lot of blacked-out bikes online but not many that look as good as yours. I really like the way you kept the bolts Chrome instead of blacking them out as well. Good job!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()