Author Topic: going down.  (Read 9253 times)

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
Re: going down.
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 01:09:21 AM »
x2 on the MSF rider course being a good thing.
Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:32 AM »
...what is this course?

..ive never heard of it....
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:13 AM »
Yep wordslinger I am ok. Luckily i only got minor injuries to me left knee, side, and hands. Gotta get another leather jacket and some paint though. As another plus I got the S9 to start back up.  :)
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 04:15:55 AM »
...what is this course?

..ive never heard of it....
Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider safety course. Four hours on Friday night, then all day Saturday. In many states, if you take this course, you don't have to take the rider's test when applying for a motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. They teach some critical riding skills about maneuvering, braking, obstacle avoidance, etc. Very good course to take when just starting out; that way you learn the correct riding habits from the get-go. They let us ride our scooters when we took the course (newbie riders), so it was a lot of extra seat time practicing on our scoots - a definite plus.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

CosmoKorny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 03:24:48 AM »
MSF rider course:

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx#&panel1-2

There is a scooter specific course available in Wisconsin offered about once a month.

My boys learning to ride:

Take the course and you'll be doing this in no time:

Normal is boring.

2006 Kymco Xciting 250

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 12:10:11 AM »
Yep wordslinger I am ok. Luckily i only got minor injuries to me left knee, side, and hands. Gotta get another leather jacket and some paint though. As another plus I got the S9 to start back up:)

...woop-woop!! ..glad ur okay!!

8)

..and that course is an awesome idea if you've never ridden very much!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:13:03 AM by wordslinger »
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »
Back in the spring of 98' I crashed my dirtbike hard enough to break my leg badly.. That fall I was back in the dirt, although riding more carefully..

Desire to ride is in your heart.. Listen to it.. But.......

A guy I know has crashed more motorcycles than I care to count, but he won't quit. Not sure if it's in his head as a cool factor or if he really has that desire to ride, but he continues to buy another (and then crash it). Luckily, he hasn't hurt himself badly. Another friend of mine has crashed badly, twice, and he's not riding anymore..

It's up to the guy holding the handlebars. You don't have to ride..

And take the MSF courses.. For those in IL, remember that they're FREE!!! Well, kinda free.. The extra money we pay for a motorcycle license plate pays for the classes.. Take the classes (BRC and ERC) and become a better rider, and get an insurance break while you're at it. :)  Since I'm insuring and plating 7 motorcycles, I'm paying for several new riders every year.. Take advantage of the system!! Please!!! I hate seeing motorcycle accidents in the paper, and I hate non-riders having to tell me about bike accidents, too.. (90% are due to alcohol, and most aren't wearing any gear, either)

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2014, 02:02:58 AM »
In my country, there is no such thing as a riding course.... If you can afford to buy a motorbike, you can get a license and ride! 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
In my country, there is no such thing as a riding course.... If you can afford to buy a motorbike, you can get a license and ride! 
At least you guys all wear helmets....here it's your fav doo-Ragg....I'm going to tape a grocery bag over my helmet and see how many waves I get!
Stig's out shopping.......
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:10:26 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

paper

• I like naps
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
That's for sure.. I'm an hour from Milwaukee, and the area is loaded with "Lifestyle" riders..

Doo-raggs and leather.. And they look at me weird because I'm wearing Aerostich gear and a dual sport helmet. :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 08:19:26 PM by paper »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »
Mr Houndguy,
Hope you are doing well.
If you'd like to share - what did you decide?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bleys

• Ride what you like, not what other's like.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 11:26:27 PM »
I learned to ride on dirt bikes.  We rode all over fields and pastures and crashing was kind of a way of life, but I was 15, 16 years old.  I did learn the value of helmets, jackets, gloves, and boots though.  Then when in college, I was riding home one night on a 650 Midnight Special - a rather light bike.  I noticed I was doing about 90 and nearly soiled myself.  Sold the bike a week later.  I did not ride again for 28 years - partly because I agreed to not ride until my kids were adults.  But I always missed it and my wife could see and hear my longing.  Finally took the MSF riding course and bought a scooter 2 years ago and have not regretted it since.  Whether you decide to ride or not after an accident, is up to you, but to me, it is the closest I will ever get to flying, and now I will only stop riding when I am physically unable.  I wear all the safety equipment and stay vigilant when driving.  It is not always relaxing, but it is always fun!!  Make the right decision for yourself Hound and good luck what ever you decide.
Bill
Pawtucket, Rhode Island
2009 Xciting 250Ri - gone :(
2014 Honda CTX700N

houndguy

• Fear the mangy mutt!
  • Your idiotism amuses me.
    • View Profile
    • Scooter Revolution!
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 12:47:41 PM »
Mr Houndguy,
Hope you are doing well.
If you'd like to share - what did you decide?
Stig

Thanks Stig. 

I guess I do owe you guys an update.  I was finally cleared to ride in the middle of May, but for a few reasons have not really been out on the bike much.  When I have ridden it's been to work and back on roads I know well. 

I used to do 10,000 miles every year but this accident was a wake up call for me, some health issues came up during my recovery.  Will I continue to ride?  Yes, I believe I will...but I'm not sure if I'll do the 150 miles on a Saturday afternoon like I used to do.   
Just another scooter blog - http://www.2smallerwheels.blogspot.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 02:25:08 PM »
Thanks Stig. 

I guess I do owe you guys an update.  I was finally cleared to ride in the middle of May, but for a few reasons have not really been out on the bike much.  When I have ridden it's been to work and back on roads I know well. 

I used to do 10,000 miles every year but this accident was a wake up call for me, some health issues came up during my recovery.  Will I continue to ride?  Yes, I believe I will...but I'm not sure if I'll do the 150 miles on a Saturday afternoon like I used to do.   
Thanks for the update.
Glad you are doing OK, take it easy....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

joebro

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
Dont worry houndguy you will get there! After my wreck I barely drove to the gas station and back now a few months later I am just getting back to my 100 mile rides. I am glad to here your doing well though. :) Keep on keepin on man!
You only live once but if you live right once is all you need.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()