Author Topic: Hello from Malaysia!  (Read 4315 times)

isjoe

• View Profile
Hello from Malaysia!
« on: January 22, 2014, 09:07:37 AM »
I've just put a MYR 500 (that's about US$150) deposit  for a brand new Like 150 and I'm excited as all hell! Though I have to wait for about a week  for the dealer to order the bike from the supplier, sort out the paperwork, registration, and all that jazz.

For weeks, I've been actively looking at Vespa LX150 and Honda PCX 150 for my short daily commute in the city. I have a beloved old Aprilia Moto 6.5, but it really isn't suitable for stop-and-go traffic and daily commuting to work. I love her with all my heart, but she gets extremely hot (temperature-wise) in the already hot and humid Malaysian traffic.

I needed something that's nimble, cheap and easy to maintain, has ample storage (this is important), and looks good.

By chance, I came across this little Taiwanese machine on mudah.my, the Malaysian version of Craigslist. I have heard of Kymco before, but never paid them much attention because they're not marketed well in these parts. Taiwanese brands are oft looked down upon in Malaysia.

So after two days of gruelling research, I've decided that the Like is perfect for my needs. The Kymco is cheaper at MYR 6600/US$2000 than the Vespa LX150 or the Honda PCX at US$3300 each. It looks good and if you guys are to be believed, performs admirably for a city commuter.

My only gripe is that the top box does not come standard and the Like only comes in beige or white. I picked the latter, and plan to get a nice 40L top box for my helmet, riding jacket and other stuff. Down the road, I also plan to paint the scoot British racing green, something along these lines:

Anyway, that's the gist of it. I hope to contribute and share my experience riding the Like in and around Kuala Lumpur. I'll post updates and pictures when my new baby arrives, but for now, here's one from the dealer when I booked it at lunch earlier. Ride safe!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 09:22:43 AM by isjoe »

big blue

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Malaysia!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:04:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum isjoe lots of Like owners here. Great city scooters and cheap to own. Strange that they don't come with the top box in Malaysia since all sold here in the US and Europe do. I think the color you want to paint the scoot would look cool.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:23:52 AM »
The top box of the Like is standard... ask the dealer about it... the whole world has it but not in Malaysia? 

isjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
The first ever Like imports did come with the top box, but they discontinued the practice a year or two ago.  I have ascertained this fact with almost a dozen dealers and even the sole official Kymco importer/supplier in Malaysia.

Guess I'll just have to get my own topbox, most likely a Givi. Any suggestions? I need something that can fit a Shark Evoline 3 modular helmet. Thanks!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
The first ever Like imports did come with the top box, but they discontinued the practice a year or two ago.  I have ascertained this fact with almost a dozen dealers and even the sole official Kymco importer/supplier in Malaysia.

Guess I'll just have to get my own topbox, most likely a Givi. Any suggestions? I need something that can fit a Shark Evoline 3 modular helmet. Thanks!
In the store that sells helmet - should be some top boxes to try fit of helmet - maybe?
(frankly I think the LIKE looks better without the top case - but have gotten addicted to its carrying ability! plus the top case presents a bigger "presence" to following cars.)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

isjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 08:08:39 AM »
frankly I think the LIKE looks better without the top case - but have gotten addicted to its carrying ability! plus the top case presents a bigger "presence" to following cars.

I got my Like today! Joy to the world! Anyway, I managed to get a sweet deal on a Givi 34-liter box, and it looks pretty good on the scoot. And I agree, most scooters/bikes, including the Like, look better without a top case on its haunches. However, it looks way better on the Like than on my Aprilia. Plus, I don't have to haul my helmet around anymore!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 03:50:18 PM »
I got my Like today! Joy to the world! Anyway, I managed to get a sweet deal on a Givi 34-liter box, and it looks pretty good on the scoot. And I agree, most scooters/bikes, including the Like, look better without a top case on its haunches. However, it looks way better on the Like than on my Aprilia. Plus, I don't have to haul my helmet around anymore!
Congrats on your new LIKE !!
I go out in the garage and look at mine every day. It is 10F and snowing at present.....too cold to even tinker with the scoot. Afraid I'd break some of the plastic if I tried.
13 days since i could ride it!
Stig
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:54:17 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »
Having a top box is a huge convenience. I have another scooter too. A Piaggio BV350. I have Piaggio's accessory top box for it, the larger of two they offer. It comes on and off in seconds using the ignition key lock which is just great! Since the BV has a lot of under seat storage most of the time I don't even bother having the top box on. With the top box on I can fit three bags of groceries!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

Baron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 04:54:42 AM »
Hi, I know this thread has been there a while but needed to activate it to get help. I'm a Like 200i owner in Malaysia as well. Recently I had a problem with my scoot that requires replacement parts for the variator. Problem is that I just learned that the local distributor had went out of business. Any idea where I could source of the parts in Malaysia? Or can I use compatible parts from other scooters i.e. Sym which seems to be more prevalent here?

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 12:22:56 AM »
Hi, I know this thread has been there a while but needed to activate it to get help. I'm a Like 200i owner in Malaysia as well. Recently I had a problem with my scoot that requires replacement parts for the variator. Problem is that I just learned that the local distributor had went out of business. Any idea where I could source of the parts in Malaysia? Or can I use compatible parts from other scooters i.e. Sym which seems to be more prevalent here?

Baron,
 Starting a new thread would probably be a better idea. I have purchased variator parts for Chinese GY6 150cc scooters for the Like. They fit perfectly. Just make certain you order a drive face that is 115 mm as a match. Most come in 104mm.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 12:24:46 AM by LidoCA »
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()