Author Topic: LIKE long term and SYNTHETIC OILS ??  (Read 5585 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
LIKE long term and SYNTHETIC OILS ??
« on: January 19, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
I was hoping we could encourage any LIKE200i owners to give us all a report on what they are finding needs replacement as they build up miles.
Any belts, bulbs, rollers, brake pads, parts, tires, etc. wearing out - and needing replacement?
How many miles on your LIKE when you had to replace something?
This will be of interest to all of us. (and to anyone looking in - before buying a LIKE 200i)
 Stig replaced: Kendas off, replaced w/ Michelin City Grips @600 miles (due to recommendations from veterans - for wet weather commuting)
Thanks all, Stig
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:06:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Dolemite

• View Profile
Re: Can we get a long-term report on the LIKE?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »
I'll play.

I passed 10,000k this past weekend, here's a run down on everything i've replaced or that has broken.
2012 Kymco Like 200i, i'm the second owner, purchased in Aprill of 2012 with 2k miles. Originally sold in October of 2011. The warranty transferred to me even though i've never had to use it.

Replaced the rear tire twice, both times due to nasty screws, but was able to patch roadside until replacements were found.
Front tire once, i'm currently running Micheline Power Pure SC's front and rear. Phenomenal tires, I highly suggest them. The stock front tire still had over half it's tread left at 9k miles, it now sits in the garage just in case.
Changed rollers to sliders around 9k miles. 3 of the rollers had semi flat spots that caused a little shudder on take off.
I was going to change the belt at 9k too, but it still has plenty of life left on it compared to a new one. I still may switch it out this spring before I take some long trips.
My brake fluid went bad like clockwork after two years, I purchased new pads at 8,500k planning on switching them out but they have well over 1/2 their pad left (almost as much as the new replacements) so I just bled the brakes for now. Feels like it did when it was new.
Other than that it's been routine maintenance, oil change, gear oil change, adjusting the valves every so often, once a month i'll splash a little sea foam in the tank.

I've never had a bulb blow out or a dead battery. I'm still using the original battery, the longest i've gone without riding is about 2-3 weeks during winter and it's always started right up.
The only two things that have broken is I put too much load on the power outlet once with an inflator (which i've replaced with a 1amp fuse, original was .5amp) and the plastic running below the foot board on the left hand side has a crack running from top to bottom, which I have no idea when it happened. Good thing it's not noticeable.

So that's my 10k mile report. Mine has been nothing but reliable. The most serious issues I've had were flat tires and brake fluid going bad, nothing you can blame on the scooter.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »
I'll play.  idea when it happened. Good thing it's not noticeable.

So that's my 10k mile report. Mine has been nothing but reliable. The most serious issues I've had were flat tires and brake fluid going bad, nothing you can blame on the scooter.

Thanks a bunch Dolemite ! Good report!
How did you know the brake fluid was going bad? I noticed that mine was low in the right reservoir after purchasing. Didn't want to take it to the dealer for this - figured I needed to know how to do these kinds of things. 
Learned how to get the plastic off to get at it and top it up....but not sure I'd know when it has gone bad.
Mine hasn't seen the dealer except to put on my Michelin City Grips.
4500 miles on the clock.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

tclhb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »
Yes Dolimite. Enjoyed your report. Good stuff!
Tom. Huntington Beach, California

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
two ways to tell your brake fluid is bad ,when the brakes drag after heavy use,. or they get spongey (soft )thats because brake fluid takes in water,. over time ,.  so change the fluid every two years , and you should be good,.

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
two ways to tell your brake fluid is bad ,when the brakes drag after heavy use,. or they get spongey (soft )thats because brake fluid takes in water,. over time ,.  so change the fluid every two years , and you should be good,.

Nailed it. Mine got really spongy. I was having to pull way too hard on them, and after time I could feel it depressing in steps. It wasn't a smooth engagement from beginning to end, but it seemed to brake in steps. I used a one man bleeder tool from Advance Auto that I got for about $7. It made the process of bleeding the tiny reservoirs much easier. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Brake-Bleeder/_/N-26qw?filterByKeyWord=brake+bleeder+kit&fromString=search

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 02:55:29 PM »
UPDATE! So as for all that no worries at 10k miles. I've suffered my first issue and really haven't had a chance yet to sort it out. This past weekend I noticed a little bit of oil dripping down the side of my cvt. Engine oil, not gear oil. I was due for a change anyways, 1,200 since my last, I try to do it every 1k. No biggie, BUT I measured what came out and it was about .5L as opposed to the .9L that should have been in there. The last time I looked at my dip stick it was measuring up to the very bottom, low. ANYWHO, while I did the oil change I decided to tear some stuff apart and see if I could find where this leak is, and it appears to be on the top of the engine, by the starter and on top of the cvt case. I suspect I may have overfilled last oil change and blew a gasket in the starter. Hopefully it's not one of the head gaskets. Regardless I ruled out blow by from the valve cover, no oil in the air filter, all those hoses are bone dry. I have been using synthetic oil since about the 3k mile marker. I know some people claim they can seep through some seals but i'm just not sure.

So does anyone have any experience with blown gaskets in their starter? Mine does seem to sluggishly crank sometimes, somewhat like my battery is weak. Which it may be, it's still the original and i've never charged it other than riding it almost every day. Once I get a few hours to go pull it off i'll update.

91cavgt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »
UPDATE! So as for all that no worries at 10k miles. I've suffered my first issue and really haven't had a chance yet to sort it out. This past weekend I noticed a little bit of oil dripping down the side of my cvt. Engine oil, not gear oil. I was due for a change anyways, 1,200 since my last, I try to do it every 1k. No biggie, BUT I measured what came out and it was about .5L as opposed to the .9L that should have been in there. The last time I looked at my dip stick it was measuring up to the very bottom, low. ANYWHO, while I did the oil change I decided to tear some stuff apart and see if I could find where this leak is, and it appears to be on the top of the engine, by the starter and on top of the cvt case. I suspect I may have overfilled last oil change and blew a gasket in the starter. Hopefully it's not one of the head gaskets. Regardless I ruled out blow by from the valve cover, no oil in the air filter, all those hoses are bone dry. I have been using synthetic oil since about the 3k mile marker. I know some people claim they can seep through some seals but i'm just not sure.

So does anyone have any experience with blown gaskets in their starter? Mine does seem to sluggishly crank sometimes, somewhat like my battery is weak. Which it may be, it's still the original and i've never charged it other than riding it almost every day. Once I get a few hours to go pull it off i'll update.

I don't have an oil leak, but at almost 4k miles now I too have experienced the starter turning over kind of slow, especially when the motor is hot. 
2012 Like 200i  in black

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »
noticed a little bit of oil dripping down the side of my cvt. Engine oil, not gear oil.
Synthetic oil downside.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »
?? Synthetic oil .... or regular oil in a KYMCO scooter ??

OK, I just got off the phone with the service techs of 3 dealers who sell: Vespa, Piaggio, SYM and KYMCO scooters.

All three service techs recommend the use of synthetic oil, of the proper weight for the season, in scooters.
Vespa/Piaggio specifies the use of synthetic oils. SYM recommends the use of synthetic oil. The KYMCO tech 'swears by' AMSOIL's scooter-specific full synthetic oil, although the owner's manual does not specify the use of synthetic oil.
The KYMCO tech uses AMSOIL in his KYMCO scooter and in his motorcycles.

All 3 service techs chuckled when I argued that synthetic oil, compared to regular oil, creates - finds - or causes leaks in a scooter engine.
To paraphrase their responses: A leak is a leak. Synthetic oil is not smaller than other oils. Oil weight is oil weight. Use the proper weight for the riding season. The KYMCO/motorcycle rider technician suggested that if you routinely ride near your engine's red-line - then you need full synthetic oil. If you ride less hard, a synthetic blend is OK to use.

Lastly - they all recommend changing your oil "frequently". How often?
I will not open that can of beans....people who ride or drive or mow or blow or fly (I guess) with an engine have strong feelings about oil change intervals.
Me: Winter riding - I'm changing my synthetic oil every 500-600 miles.
In the summer - 600-1000 miles. Depending on how badly I'm needing to touch my scooter engine!
(Vespa guys are arm wrestling over figures like 2500 > 6000 miles)
I do remember when "gonna cause her to leak !" Mobil 1 came on the market a few decades ago.....
No comment....
I'm going to go wax my top case, relax and think about pretty scooters....
Stig
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 08:20:43 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: LIKE long term and SYNTHETIC OILS ??
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:27:36 PM »

Thanks for your post.
My starter never fails to start - and I've got the battery on a tender - battery may be close to 2 yrs old (the manufact. date is close to 2yrs on the scoot -not sure how the dealers handle the batteries) and I get a hesitation on the start sometimes when stone cold, and a 2 sec crank when hot to start.
I'm using no oil between changes. No leaks under the engine. If you're still under warranty - will it go to the dealer?
Please do report what you find.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I seriously doubt that synthetic oil caused this leak. It goes against everything i've read, especially for the age of the scoot/milage and the care taken. I haven't been able to confirm where it's coming from yet, work has me too busy. I do change my oil every 1k miles religiously along with all other scheduled maintenance, and this only started no more than a few weeks before I noticed it. As for my warranty, that ran out this past October, I never had to use it. SNARF!

When I get to pull her apart this weekend i'll update and let you guys know what I find out. WE'VE GOT A BLACK LIKE DOWN! (Actually she still runs great but i'm not adding any unessesary stress unless I have to. I can borrow my girlfriends Buddy 125 if I need to go anywhere  ;D )

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
I seriously doubt that synthetic oil caused this leak. It goes against everything i've read, especially for the age of the scoot/milage and the care taken. I haven't been able to confirm where it's coming from yet, work has me too busy. I do change my oil every 1k miles religiously along with all other scheduled maintenance, and this only started no more than a few weeks before I noticed it. As for my warranty, that ran out this past October, I never had to use it. SNARF!

When I get to pull her apart this weekend i'll update and let you guys know what I find out. WE'VE GOT A BLACK LIKE DOWN! (Actually she still runs great but i'm not adding any unessesary stress unless I have to. I can borrow my girlfriends Buddy 125 if I need to go anywhere  ;D )
Thanks dolemite!
Cool to have a scooter for back-up......my back up is my wife's xB.....or the city bus! Get less flack from the bus driver - no, actually the Mrs. is pretty understanding and will to get up at 4:00AM to haul me to work when snow is coming.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Dolemite

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:00 AM »
Well push came to shove and I handed "The Panty Dropper" over to the only local scooter shop to investigate my leak, from what I could tell it's a head gasket. But being new to gy6 engines, hell, I don't know. I've worked on cars my whole life and have never had to bring a vehicle to a shop for anything more than tires, so this doesn't sit right with me. But i'd hate to start tearing apart the engine only to find it's something I overlooked, and besides my garage is in no shape to organize bolts right now. The guy I brought it to operates a fairly new scooter shop across the bay, so I like to give them all the business I can. I trust them not to rip me off, but still. At least I know it will get fixed right. Details to follow! Hopefully soon!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 08:36:25 PM »
Well push came to shove and I handed "The Panty Dropper" over to the only local scooter shop to investigate my leak, from what I could tell it's a head gasket. But being new to gy6 engines, hell, I don't know. I've worked on cars my whole life and have never had to bring a vehicle to a shop for anything more than tires, so this doesn't sit right with me. But i'd hate to start tearing apart the engine only to find it's something I overlooked, and besides my garage is in no shape to organize bolts right now. The guy I brought it to operates a fairly new scooter shop across the bay, so I like to give them all the business I can. I trust them not to rip me off, but still. At least I know it will get fixed right. Details to follow! Hopefully soon!
Thanks for the update - we'll be watching for your report.
What did you think of the sliders you put in at 9000 miles?
Really interested in this subject - I've got a set of Dr Pulleys and a scoot sitting in the garage waiting on the snow.....I can't keep changing the oils without riding it!
What sliders did you put in (brand and weight?) - and what did you think of the results?
Let's hope it is a simple leak to fix....
Thanks abunch, Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()