Author Topic: Rebuilt LIKE Seat  (Read 3499 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Rebuilt LIKE Seat
« on: October 07, 2013, 01:41:19 AM »
Quick update on my seat rebuild...
I enjoy this new seat every time I climb on!
I automatically take the natural position for my height (6'3") - which is maybe 5 or 6" further back from the small dip in the center of the seat where Kymco intended for us to sit. {Asians and Europeans maybe - but does not work for tall Americans.}
Stock seat has maybe 1" of foam over the L side of the center ridge intrusion from the seat pan. Impossible to sit there for long! The seat pan profile demonstrates the issue.
I added width and support to the outer edge of the seat - and built the entire seating area up with inches of purpose made foam. Covered it in SailRite 4-way stretch seat vinyl.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:17:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
Re: Rebuilt LIKE Seat
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:44 AM »
How much does that foam you use compress? I finding the stock seat has begun to loose some of its firmness. Can you give us the name and source of your foam please? Thanks in advance.

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 03:12:30 PM »
they call it rebond foam, I used the 5 lb,. one one outfit in Or. has 10 lb. per cu. ft.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
Thanks for the information de-dee.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »
I used this company - as recommended by a couple of on-line cycle seat rebuilders.

http://www.foambymail.com/foam-types-for-seats-and-cushions.html

I purchased 5" thick block of the blue "Lux Foam H Q with 16 yr life"  and a Rebond Foam Pad 18x18x3.
Use the proper type of 3M spray glue for your foam type.

Cut and glued the Rebond foam to construct heavy duty ramps for the rear and front of the seat, (lower butt/back support at the rear, and dome at the front to keep me from sliding forward - an issue a LIKE owner c/o when his seat was rebuilt by a shop! Worked the Rebond foam in the base (to hide the ridge) and edges.
The seat is actually no wider than the stock seat - just feels wider because of the support I added under there with the Rebond, tapers very little down the sides.

Then layered and shaped and test rode the blue foam until I could no longer feel any seat pan issues, or tilting, or too-firm Rebond sections.

That took more inches of blue foam than I liked - but wasn't going to compromise the ride at this point (too much time, effort and $ into this project to build something only slightly better than stock!)

With my weight and height - I knew I was building a 'solo' seat. FYI, I have 2 LIKE seats and seat pans - so the orig. LX stock seat is safely stored and available if I ever shrink 75% .

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:15:25 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

200i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »
Hi, What a great post....what would you charge me to do the exact rebuild of my seat. Thanks much
coonrgc@yahoo.com

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 12:15:39 AM »
Hi, What a great post....what would you charge me to do the exact rebuild of my seat. Thanks much
coonrgc@yahoo.com
Hello 200i, (good name!)
Welcome!
I must respectfully decline your offer to build you a LIKE seat.(I'm not good enough at this to take anyone's $$~!)
You really need to take it to a local motorcycle seat builder. Or maybe you could first try one of those motorcycle seat cushions that are strapped on, on top of the existing seat.

You can unbolt the seat (two 10mm nuts), and pull all the staples out and lift the foam off - and show the guy what the issues are with that seat pan. An experienced pro should be able to see the problems with the LIKE seat and build you a comfortable and good looking seat on that pan in a vinyl color of your choice.

A pro will probably be able to build you a nice seat that 2 can still ride on.

That was not an option for me - at 6'3" and 250/260 lbs.
1) I needed to get back from the leg shield
2) The LIKE is rated to take only about 60/70 lbs additional weight - once  I'm seated on it.
 So, I was building a one person scooter seat from the get-go.
I carefully checked the load ratings on scooters in my price range and quickly decided that this scooter would have to be just be for me. The next one will be bigger - for a passenger.

My rebuilt seat vs stock seat:
I sit higher by a couple inches - quickly got used to that
I sit further back - which feels very secure with knees behind the leg shield instead of flared out beside it
I do not rock side-to-side any longer - with  the  added edge support
I find it noticeably easier to lift my feet back onto the floor after a stop
My knees do not hit the handlebars when turning

If you're a big guy - I encourage you to fix the seat (rebuild it or add one of those cushions which strap on) to get you away from the leg shield. That 'adult on a tricycle' riding position which the LIKE forces big guys to adopt is neither comfortable nor particularly safe!
Please let me know what you decide - and how things work out for you.
Ride safe!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

oskuk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 08:39:17 AM »
After my own seat rebuild I have an idea how it should be done -as the original plastic frame is awful startpoint when its lines feel on my butt
through a surprisingly thick foam.
A: Make the original foam low and flat, then add something firm on it, and then make the new stuff over that.
Or B: saw the seat foam horizontal, add the firm material there and assemble. Firm stuff could be plastic, plywood etc. to kill the influence of the bad frame.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 06:01:58 PM »
After my own seat rebuild I have an idea how it should be done -as the original plastic frame is awful startpoint when its lines feel on my butt
through a surprisingly thick foam.
A: Make the original foam low and flat, then add something firm on it, and then make the new stuff over that.
Or B: saw the seat foam horizontal, add the firm material there and assemble. Firm stuff could be plastic, plywood etc. to kill the influence of the bad frame.
Yes, beacuse of the irregularities of the seat pan, I left the orig. foam there - sliced off the curve ridge in the middle of the foam to flatten my base, then began adding firm and soft foam ON TOP of the orig. foam. Added firm at the rear for a mini-rump/back support, firm at the front to keep me from sliding forward and down, and firm on the outer edges to give more side-to-side support and make the seat FEEL much wider. Then soft over the whole seat. This seat is now very comfortable and it feels quite different to feel the seat touch the back of my legs - now that I can sit further away from the leg shield. No more "flying chicken wings" leg spraddle going down the street! From a distance I look like a small Philppino ridng his LIKE, rather than a giant Gringo! ie: the scoot FITs now.
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

steve phillips

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2013, 12:15:11 PM »
hey stig
i like the seat looks good

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:51 PM »
hey stig
i like the seat looks good
It is r e a l  comfy! I used to ride for 40 mins and have to get off.....numb down there. Swayed side-to-side, could not move from the one spot. Knees against the hand grips.
Now, I don't even think about the seat, or where my knees are.
Even the funky profile of the seat is growing on me....but it is not pretty like factory seats! (You ever see an ugly seat on a new scooter? Me neither.)
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()