Author Topic: Givi 438A large windscreen  (Read 7099 times)

ispud

• View Profile
Givi 438A large windscreen
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:05:21 PM »
and A438A (one is mounting kit - other is windscreen) - Anyone tried to put this on 2009 people 250 S??  If so how did it go?  It is a beautiful windscreen - but I am concerned about fit - particularly interference from the front turn signals.   I had one in my hands when I was in SLC looking at the scooter, but didn't think to look at it in enough detail.  My scooter arrived at my dealer yesterday - that was fast - and hopefully I can go over in the morning and ride it home.

Anyone have experience with the taller windscreen (60 bucks I think) sold by Kymco?  It fits just like the stock one but is 18 inches tall.

:)>>

richbury

• View Profile
Re: Givi 438A large windscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 11:46:22 PM »
I purchased and installed the 60 buck windscreen. you can install it as is on a S250 if you break off your original mounting tabs.
I was not willing to do that. I drilled a couple of holes and trimmed it down to the shape of the original windscreen.Mounted with just the
original hardware.I believe the windscreen was intended for a PS200.but it can be made to work.

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »
I have an '09 People S250, and just got an A438A windscreen for it. It's really much better than the stock screen, but there are some alterations that I made to it. First, to clear the turn signals, I trimmed off the hand protector parts of the screen and that allowed the use of the turn signals as they are. I have a pair of "Hippo Hand" muffs for cold weather riding and won't miss those parts of the screen. Secondly, after riding the scooter for a couple of days, I trimmed 3" off the top and that's much better. I'm 5'-11". and the wind hits me just on top of the helmet with the cut-down screen. I can ride behind the screen or if I sit up really tall I can see over it. I got my Givi screen from Southwest Scooter in Arizona (or California).

kuboat
Las Cruces, NM

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »
any chance of some photos??  I would like to see this in detail - sounds good - but I hate to lose the hand covers - very nice in winter, but this may be the only viable option.

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 11:54:03 PM »
Here's a shot of the hand guard extensions trimmed off. They really don't offer that much protection in the winter. The Hippo Hand type hand muffs are really great…next to electric gloves!

kuboat

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 12:31:18 AM »
How do you go about cutting it without damaging the part you want to save?  And....I think all who travel this forum would LOVE to see more pictures of your ps250 with windshield - I know it is off great interest to me - probably order one this week.

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:39:33 AM by ispud »

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 04:21:01 AM »
You just put masking tape on the windshield over the area to be cut (about 6" wide), draw the line you want to cut, then just cut it with an electric scroll saw with a fine blade. Then, use a file, then some rough (150 grit) sandpaper on a sanding block, then some medium to fine sandpaper (200 grit or so), then buff it out with a buffing wheel and rouge. It takes a fairly short time, and you really can't tell it wasn't that way to start with. I'll try to get some other photos of the scooter and windscreen.

kuboat
Las Cruces, NM

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 01:16:26 PM »
Appreciate the info and look forward to some more photos when you have time.  Did you use a band saw or a jig saw?

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »
Wonder why Givi just doesn't make one like this - with hand covers gone?  Not enough ps250 in US?

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
Don't know why Givi doesn't make the screen to fit the US version.

I used an electric scroll saw (one that oscillates up and down) with a fine blade. A blade that is too open in the tooth design may crack the plexi while cutting.

Here's another shot of the entire windscreen that I took this morning. Can't send you any more because of the limit of KB.

kuboat
Las Cruces, NM

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »
One more picture from inside showing mounting bar penetrations??  Scroll saw appears to be a small upright band saw - I don't have one - maybe I can find a friend who does - I have a couple jig saws, but I can see how this would be better.  I see your screen has the blackened bottom area - which I really like - but I am finding when I look on the internet for this screen it shows being totally clear - no black bottom - I have query out to suppliers about that.

Again, thanks for your time.

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
here is a shot from behind and below the windscreen showing the "braces" for the windscreen. On my scooter, there were two round "knock-outs" on the bottom to allow access to the nuts for the bolts that ran up thru the plastic bar housing. These are not difficult to remove, as they are held in by only two small bridges of plastic.

Hope this helps.

kuboat
Las Cruces, NM

karl utrecht

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »
I purchased the windscreen from Motorsports Scooters of San Diego. The price was 134.95 + shipping.

kuboat
Las Cruces,NM

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:43:20 PM »
great price!

Thanks for all the pictures - I take it from your comments that there are some limits on pictures on these boards??

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »
I ordered one today.  I plan on trying to mount it without cutting it - a dealer in SLC told me if you loosen the turn signals it is possible - If I am not successful I will chop it up.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()