Author Topic: Super 8 NOT charging battery  (Read 7117 times)

greenee

• View Profile
Super 8 NOT charging battery
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:50:47 PM »
Facts; 2010 super 8; 600 miles when purchased/ Used
@ or around 1500 mi starter turned over slowly/ eventually had to kick start.
NOW we are at 2100 mi Bat is not being charged/ 11.2 volts at Bat not running/ Running high idle 12.4V
Bat disconnected and bat leads hooked up to meter /high idle reads 8.1 volts. ??? I love this scoot. Unfortunatly I own a Ruckus with 9000 mi on it and not one problem (gave her a new belt for good old times sake) HELP some one. I've read this happens w/this machine. Can't find a repair manual. Not sure where to go next. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks   greenee
Just RIDE (something/anything)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8 NOT charging battery
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 12:02:48 AM »
There should be a voltage regulator under the front cowl. Test the AC voltage going into it. It should be between 125vac, and 250vac. If Not then the stator is bad. If Yes then the regulator is bad. Test the DC out of the reg. to verify it's not a wiring issue.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

greenee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:27 AM »
(yay I got the Zombies attention) I want to thank you for your reply. I've read some of your responses to others and find your advice to be very respectfull and informative. I now have more ??? How many screws will I take off before that front fairing starts to move  ?? If it is the stator, Will I be able to do it ?? (not a bad little mech, I am I am) 8)Would I have to remove the engine from the frame ?? and last Where can I get a repair Manual ?????? Like I stated earliar, I love my scoot, my first ride was a "77 XL Honda back in "78. I've owned many types of bikes since. I bought a Hon Ruckus because it reminded me of the "Rupp" mini bike I first rode when I was just a squirt. (my test ride on the Ruckus has me laughing to this day) Thanks again for your time, you provide a great service in sharing your knowledge. I will keep you informed on what I find. Joe

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 03:01:36 AM »
Dude, your battery is over 2 years old, and of uncertain heritage, replace it.

Get one of those orange gel ones from TMS, YTX12A-BS. it's a 9 amp/hour, on ebay for about $40 delivered, you'll have it in 5 days

Don't tear all that stuff up for a dud battery, just get a new one.
Albuquerque, New Mexico

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 03:16:33 AM »
Ce is right about that for sure... The low charging volts with No battery is what is the problem tho. Look thru You tube for stuff. This manual is advertised there too...http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/150109370-kymco-super8-50-service-repair-manual-download See what you can find.
As far as what to take apart... Just start wiggling things. All that plastic is just linked up together.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

greenee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:30:34 PM »
Respectfully disagree on the battery being 2 years, and "old". (dated 11/09 for what thats worth) My Ruckus is 5 years old, sat over the Winter (mild one, that is) and started up first try. I do appreciate the recomondation on a quality replacement if and when needed. The plastic is a test of one's patience. Again Thanks ALL for the replies, results to follow. (someday) :)  J

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 12:05:10 AM »
I put in at least one new battery a year on my scoots... The Yusa they come with is trash to begin with.
This google page has a few helpful links for testing... http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=testing+regulator+gy6&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest 

greenee

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 08:32:19 PM »
I stand corrected The battery was junk (guess the one honda sold me was one they might want back) My 04 Road King has original battery in it also, and it still works (???) My Problem has now advanced to not starting. Good thing there is someone else asking same question here. Just follow there threads and go buy another honda in the meanwhile. (sob)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
Check for spark/compression test. Those are the basics. Is the plug wet or dry after cranking it?

ce

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
There's only 5 bolts holding the seat bucket in, remove it and examine all the wiring connections to the coil, the plug, the ground, and make sure nothing has vibrated loose after 2100 miles.

Also check all vaccum fittings and check out evrything you can get to along the fuel delivery system.

Albuquerque, New Mexico

GreenSuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »
I use my scooter a lot, and I've found there is always attrition of the battery. I just pull it out and give it a good charge every couple of months.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 03:07:01 AM »
Hey GreenSuper 8! What kind of bike do you ride? I bet it's orange like mine...

GreenSuper8

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Correct--it's an orange Vino, in fact. GreenSuper8 is simply a username generated for me by one thousand monkeys on one thousand typewriters over near infinite time.

Hey GreenSuper 8! What kind of bike do you ride? I bet it's orange like mine...

skishades

• Point 'em and Pray
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
A greensuper8 by any other name... would it not smell as sweet...
I will ski till Hell freezes over... then I will have no fear of death.

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 02:33:59 AM »
Correct--it's an orange Vino, in fact. GreenSuper8 is simply a username generated for me by one thousand monkeys on one thousand typewriters over near infinite time.

I hate monkeys... especially typing monkeys...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()